Give blood, and save a life.
The Institute of Business & Medical Careers is hosting the Garth Englund Blood Drive on Tuesday, May 22nd at the Fort Collins campus from 8am-12:45pm. Students, faculty and staff are asked to sign-up with the Education Department on campus.
The Garth Englund Blood Donation Centers accept blood donations from community members. The donated blood is used for surgical and blood transfusion patients at the Medical Center of the Rockies and Poudre Valley Hospital.
To donate, a person must be at least 18 years old (or 17 with a parent’s permission) and show a photo identification. New donors must weigh at least 120 pounds and be in good health. Prior donors must weigh at least 110 pounds. Blood safety rules require that individuals may not donate if they have:
• Been exposed to the hepatitis or AIDS viruses
• Had a major illness or surgery in past year
• Had body piercing or a tattoo in the past year… Donating after acupuncture, body piercing or a tattoo is acceptable if the Garth Englund Blood Donation Center has a letter from your acupuncturist or artist on file stating they use sterile-needle standards.
• If you have given birth, had a miscarriage or abortion in the past six weeks, or are currently pregnant
• Been to a malaria-risk country in the past year. If you’ve traveled to Mexico, check with us about donating; the rules have changed and there are fewer restrictions
• Lived in the United Kingdom and certain U.K. overseas possessions from 1980 to 1996 for periods of time that add up to a total of three months
• Received a blood transfusion in the United Kingdom since 1980
• Lived or worked on a U.S. military base in eight other European countries for periods of time that add up to a total of six months. The years of residence vary by country, but are either 1980 to 1990 or 1980 to 1996
• Lived or stayed in continental Europe between 1980 and 1996 for periods of time that add up to a total of five years.
For more information on the Garth Englund Blood Drive, please contact Michelle Blomfelt-Jabs, by calling (970) 223-2669 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.